Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Heggar by Aleyamma Korah

Aleyamma K M>poems> Heggar
By  the valley of Hebron
From the secluded cave of the Macpela
The guardian of death
Finally makes a retreat.
Before the grave of Sarah
Among  the dancing shadows of the  date palms
I stand alone

The funeral procession from Kirytharba To Memra (Hebron Valley)
Was so poignant to watch
Lyres were singing heart breaking songs
There was Abraham weeping
Isahak the stoic self
Guarded by the people,the janapadhas.
Would he be thinking of Ishmael
His eyes looking for his brother torn away?

Sarah,
When we started from Mishraim
I was just so young
Like a shadow I followed you
Forgetting the house, kin and all .
After the valleys of perfumes
After the never found flowers
I have roamed around gardens
To wrap you up in feminine charms
So intense was the days
The pain was so lingering…
Do you remember the day you came from the house of Pharaohs
So distraught ,your hair dishevelled, dress torn
You were shouting at Abraham
Throwing away the royal gifts
Cursing the beauty that was you

Sarah,
I have loved to tend your babe
And prayed before Jehovah .
In the altars among the perfumes covering up the seat of god
A fertility ritual was offered

Haggar was the offering you made ( To Abraham)
For which my son and me were banished
The first taste of dispossession
A soul mate should not have done.
The day when the breastfeeding of Isaac was over
The oldman came and given bread to is son weeping
And asked us to go away to the endless nights and days of the deserts
From the innards of the courtyard
Sweet lullabies spread its magic halo around
But there were no calls
There were no steps to call us back…

In the berseba desrt
Where it would punch even the last bits of life
Me and my child were roaming seeking mirages
Of nights and days…
In the oasis the last drops were lost
I closed the eyes unable to watch him die
In the oasis in the lap of the small shadows I left him
And wished why god doesn’t send sulphur and thunder to end the world.
Suddenly the desert rend into two
And new springs came up bathing us in the beauty of life and god
From the shores of the death he came out
Shining like a god armoured

It has been years since
The pain has been forgotten
The loss and the gain
The fear and the curse
Only at the moment of death
My sister of love
I have come here alone to offer my homage
In remembrance of what we have loved and lost
Only a moment between you and me









I





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home